Friday, November 23, 2007

Basic chemistry and the "Lupron Protocol"

Real scientists reference peer reviewed scientific papers, not the breakfast broadsheet. This seems like an important thing to remember.

I understand from... a credible source that the UK organization "Treating Autism" lists "Lupron" as a "New and promising treatment". I've now checked Treating Autism's web site and I see that's true, the page is here. So I wonder how many people have read the following, which is about "testosterone sheets" (integral to the "Lupron Protocol" idea) and the very real absence of "minimal hot benzene" in autistics:

For those not facile with chemistry-speak, the authors took equal numbers of molecules of testosterone and mercuric chloride and dissolved the mixture in the minimal amount of hot benzene that it took to dissolve the mixture.

This is not a condition even remotely similar to anything found in living tissue - of any vertebrate species. In other words, it isn't likely to happen in autistic children unless you dissolve them in hot benzene.


The full article is here. I think of this whenever I hear "Lupron" mentioned. Also Kathleen Seidel's series "Significant Misrepresentations: Mark Geier, David Geier & the Evolution of the Lupron Protocol", now part sixteen.

I agree we should value peer reviewed science above the less-than-thorough kind. Also I gather there are 'junk science' journals just as there are 'tabloids' in the newspaper market. From high school chemistry (which I failed) I recall not only that burnt sulfur smells the way it does (previous post), but also that true science involves rigor. This seems like the thing to watch for in autism research, or in autism researchers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.